Whether it makes any difference in the case of this particular poem is one
thing, whether it ever makes any difference another. The appeal to the
authority of personal experience is often a strong rhetorical tactic and
of course not just in poetry. As a mode it places the vulnerability of the
speaker/writer in the position of human shield for language. It is
praised, is it not, as Œauthenticityı and for its courage, which is often
real enough. As has been mentioned it can also be scorned as mere
anecdotalism, argument founded on case studies of one, and those perhaps
as trustworthy as Andrew Mitchellıs. (Incidentally the etymology of
anecdote is, apparently, Œnot publishedı. On that basis once an anecdote
is published it loses its right to the designation!)

In Staffordıs poem it seems to me that the crux lies not in the first
person singular but in the first person plural. It only becomes apparent
towards the end that the ŒIı is not alone in the scene, with first Œthe
car aheadı and then Œour groupı. The second last line is where I suspect
that its popularity ­ I think it is a popular poem ­ arises:

	I thought hard for us all­­my only swerving.

This implies that there is a lot at stake in I's decision, whose
implications go well beyond this Œwildernessı; I feels the burden of
exemplariness, which may be one of the (welcome) burdens of a particular
kind of lyric poem. This incident is Œfor us allı. Does it matter whether
or not the incident actually occurred to the assembler of these words? If
it didnıt then the assumption of priestly authority ­ the one authorised
to conduct sacrifice ­ is the more extreme. I think it matters only to
that extent. And as you imply, Peter, without searching outside the poem,
how could we know? I suspect that the force of the poem depends just as
much on the retrieval of the word Œswervingı, which has earlier been used
unmetaphorically for the risk to driversı lives of a dead animal left on
this particular road. It returns metaphorically as an ethical term, and
leaves hanging in the poem an equivocation about all that thought Œfor us
allı.

Is there a whole genre, not quite coinciding with what people might or
might not be meaning by Œlyricı, that could be called the homiletic? The
incident is the text for the day. This is how I recall the (Anglican)
sermons of my childhood.

All best,
John