But I spelt Patterson wrong, leaving off the extra t – especially significant in the context – and adding an extra s to disassembling – if it’s even a word.

From: Andrew Bailey
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: the avant garde vs. the lyrical:the telephone book

Hi -

Jamie had it right on the assignation - everything in mine is a quote, from Patterson's essay, who has in turn a quote from Brady embedded. There's quite a chunk of it here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LQj3AQAAQBAJ&lpg=PA217&ots=TZbNtu_c85&dq=ian%20patterson%20no%20man%20is%20an%20i%20lyric&pg=PA217#v=onepage&q=british%20council&f=false (not the paragraph I quoted, sadly).

I didn't wholly feel equipped to comment on it; still, yes, the Brady part is combative, but it's in response to the Don Paterson Graywolf introduction that has probably been discussed here before I was on the list. That probably bears as much weight as any "but they started it!" argument ever does, of course. I liked that the first response was 'is it true?', too; I know I've read things recently that fell into that description, but that's not to drag every connected author with them. Initially though it was just that it seemed to be speaking to Carrie's original query about this distinction between the lyric and the modernist. If I'd been smarter I might have contextualised that better in my previous, sorry.

best - a