Hi Carrie, I mentioned in person a book on the lyric I couldn't cite accurately - it's this one, http://www.cambridge.org/ve/academic/subjects/literature/english-literature-general-interest/lyric-poem-formations-and-transformations. It works through chronologically to 'No man is an I: recent developments in the lyric' (Ian Patterson), including the quote I half remembered, which probably counts as another clear statement:

An influential mainstream of anti-modernist lyric writing strives, with powerful support from the nationally determined school syllabus, to sustain a populist tradition of casually accessible lyric writing: Andrea Brady has characterised its products as "poems which are appropriate to a famished definition of poetry... which exhibits obvious 'technique' in its use of regular meters, meek in politics, pithy, witty, accommodating." Its adherents are to be found reviewed or featured in the press, are likely to be sponsored by the British Council and to receive literary prizes and other accolades; they constitute, on the whole, the official, conventional force of English poetry.

all best-
Andrew