Hi David

Your post is very interesting but I'm not sure how relevant it is to the lyric debate. I agree with what you say about art source in childhood etc., which I then see as fermenting in the barrels of adolescence, and I can understand how that can then emerge in early adulthood as a form of personalism. But, does this always happen? I don't think so, and I would be vary wary of saying that the mainstream poets of personal anecdote/opinion were stuck at some kind of stage because they didn't have the skill or will to move on - interesting as it sounds. It's not an argument I've heard before. I tend to look for the reasons why people write the poetry they do in sociological factors on the one hand and chance factors on the other. Trying to pin it to personality sounds iffy to me, though obviously personality comes into it as it is affected and mediated by external influences. I also think that ideological memes and models are important - often the people who write what we might call 'personal poetry' are people who seem to have very dull personalities, on paper, and they write the way they do because it's like filling in a form - you follow the model.

Cheers

Tim A.