Thanks, David. My sentiments precisely, but expressed more eloquently than I could have.

Best,

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Nov 19, 2014 12:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The avant garde v. the lyrical

There is nothing in the notion of the lyric that precludes it from being used experimentally, nor is there any necessity
in permanently aligning the lyric with a narcissistic personalism. I do agree that the so called "mainstream" tends in that direction,
but in my mind these are poets who have not set themselves the task of moving past who they were when they began.
In other words, one must make a conscious decision as a human being to move beyond the innate preciousness that inevitably comes with childhood
and feeds one's original impulses in the arts.This means hard personal work over decades-- work that is not likely to be supported by prizes or an endowed chair.

That most people do not do take this on is not the fault of any form or approach to art. it simply shows up in the limitations of their work.
I have always been suspicious of any claim that a theoretical stance can overcome or do an end-around the hydra of the artist's ego.
In fact such claims strike me as the exact opposite of that-- a means of hiding one's ambition behind a noble sentiment.

David

http://www.kulchurweb.com/fairytales.html