The Baroness is wonderful.  She does count in all kinds of ways.  I’ve read somewhere that she was sexually abused as a child and always lived her live “from the outside looking in.”  The sad thing is that she became the Ready Maid of so many of the gentlemen of the avant-garde of the time in ways that Mina Loy and other women of the new did not.  From my reading of Wm. Carlos Williams he appears to have been smitten by the Baroness or perhaps by her availability.  I’m glad to see that her work—some of which I was privileged to view in manuscript at the Little Review archives at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee—is now being recovered from what had been up to the early 1990’s a more forensically inclined investigation (patho-nympho-psycho) and tranformed into a real exploration and appreciation of what she did before she turned the gas on or the gas was turned on her (that final fact is still ambiguous).

I keep mentioning this in various places but the University of Maryland Digital Collections has done a fantastic thing with the manuscript poems of the Baroness.  Here’s the project:http://www.lib.umd.edu/dcr/collections/EvFL-class/

I recommend this form of web archaeology to one and all.

Jesse