Van: The archaeobotany mailing list [[log in to unmask]] namens Radoslaw Grabowski [[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: vrijdag 7 november 2014 13:31
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: SV: Papaver seeds

Dear Christin,

How interesting to hear about your find.
I have myself found three Papaver somniferum seeds in a bronze age refuse(? - presumably) layer at  Gedved Vest in Jutland. I realise that this is some distance from Tromsö, but it may still be a useful reference for you. Unfortunately, since the layer turned out to be quite difficult to use for useful inferences, the find was never published in a peer-reviewed article, unlike most of the rest of the site. Because the layer was assumed to be representative of the earliest settlement phase on the site, however,  three barley grains from the same sample were dated, with a combined span of 808-539 BC (cal 2σ). The only reference I can give here is the excavation report, which I include with the mail (page 10).

This is the detailed 14C-data for the layer, only 1sigma dates are presented in the report:
Poz-44667       Hordeum vulgare 2515±30 BP
Poz-44668       Hordeum vulgare 2565±35 BP
Poz-44672       Hordeum vulgare 2565±35 BP

When I found these seeds I became interested in whether there were other early finds of Papaver somniferum in Scandinavia. This is what I managed to scrape together then... although there is probably more:

Early opium poppy finds in Denmark have been reported from Lodbjerg (Jensen 1985) and Smedegård (Sabine Karg, pers comm), both sites are situated in northern Jutland and dated to the Pre-Roman Iron Age.

From southern Sweden I managed to find two secure early finds, a house find from Skottorp in Halland (Artelius 1989; Viklund 1989) dated to 190 BC-AD 420 and a ritual deposition in a wetland at Sallerup in Skåne, dated to approximately 500 BC (Lindahl-Jensen et al 1995).

You can find the detailed references below the email.

I'm also attaching Lindahl-Jensens article with the email. I'm sure you have Jensen 1985 in your collections. The remaining two sources I got from Karin Viklund in Umeå, but apparently not in Pdf since I can't find them on my computer.

I hope this can be of some use to you.

All the best!
/Radoslaw Grabowski

Fil. Dr. i Mijöarkeologi/PhD in Environmental Archaeology
Universitetslektor/Lecturer
Umeå Universitet/Umeå University
Tel: +31615305342

REFRENCES:

ARTELIUS, T. 1989: Boplatslämning vid Skottorps Säteri. In: Artelius, T. & Lundqvist, L. (eds.): Bebyggelse – kronologi: boplatser från perioden 1800 f. Kr. – 500 e. Kr. i södra Halland. Nya bidrag till Hallands äldsta historia 2. Riksantikvarieämbetet, Undersökningsverksamheten, Stockholm, 7-17.

JENSEN, K. A. 1985: Catalogue of Late- and Post-glacial Macrofossils of Spermatophyta from Denmark, Schleswig, Scania, Halland and Blekinge Dated 13 000 BP to 1536 AD. Danmarks Geologiske Undersøgelse.

LINDAHL-JENSEN, B., LAGERÅS, P. & REGNELL, M. 1995: A deposition of Bark Vessels, Flax and Opium Poppy from 2500 BP in Sallerup, Southern Sweden. PACT 50, 305-318.

VIKLUND, K. 1989. Skottorp. Rapport från Miljöarkeologiska Laboratoriet, Institutionen för arkeologi, Umeå Universitet, Umeå.