Dear All,

We are pleased to announce that the next meeting of the Royal Statistical Society's Lancashire local group will take place on Thursday 20th November. The meeting will be held 15:00 - 16:00pm in the Adelphi Conference Room, Adelphi Building, University of Central Lancashire. The meeting will be preceded by refreshments at 14.30pm. All are welcome to attend.

Speaker:  Professor Sandra Eldridge (Queen Mary University of London)

Title: Pilot and feasibility studies for randomised controlled trials: reporting and conceptual framework

Venue: Adelphi Conference Room, Adelphi Building, University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), Preston, PR1 2HE

Abstract:

=========

Pilot and feasibility studies are often poorly conducted and poorly reported. In addition, different interpretations and definitions of these studies are used within the research community. Over the past three years, a group of us have been developing reporting guidelines for pilot and feasibility studies conducted in preparation for randomised controlled trials of effectiveness. Alongside this we have also developed a conceptual framework for these studies. In this talk I will describe: The process of guideline development, our findings, the current stage of our work and the conceptual framework we have developed.

Sandra is a Professor of Biostatistics at Queen Mary University of London, Joint Lead of the Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Director of the Pragmatic Clinical Trials Unit housed within the Centre, and Joint Lead for the Barts and The London arm of the Research Design Service.

For further details of upcoming events in 2014, please see our website http://www.rss-lancashire.org.uk/events

Dr Lisa Hampson.
MRC Fellow in Biostatistics.
Lancaster University