Might be best to record the stages as per Schmidt for descriptive purposes but to be cautious re:age estimates. As an earlier posting pointed out for Scottish Red deer, American elk (aka wapiti) are very variable with respects to the number of points. See:

Antler growth, males only, highly variable and determined by nutritive status. >5 yr-old males can achieve beams 111cm width and 126 cm long. Six or more points on each side. Yearling males only have single spikes. Males 2-5 yrs of age have intermediate antlers.

Source: Wisdom MJ, and Cook JG. 2000. North American Elk. In: S. Demarais PRK, editor. Ecology and management of large mammals in North America. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Charles E. Stewart, Jr. p 694-735.

Dr. Ariane Burke, Professeure Titulaire,

Universite de Montreal,

Departement d'Anthropologie,

Professeure invitee (2014-15)

Laboratoire d'archeologie prehistorique

Institut J.-A. Forel, Sciences de la Terre,

Universite de Geneve

http://archeozoologie.anthro.umontreal.ca/