Hi Dave,

A few other sources to add to your list, though this might have been what Julie had in mind...

Hamilton, S., & Hazen, K. (2009). Dialect research in Appalachia: A family case study. West Virginia History: A Journal of Regional Studies3(1), 81-107.

Hazen, K., & Hamilton, S. (2008). A Dialect Turned Inside Out Migration and the Appalachian Diaspora. Journal of English Linguistics36(2), 105-128.

Hazen, K. (1999). The family as a sociolinguistic unit. In 28th annual meeting on New Ways of Analyzing Variation in English (NWAVE 28), Toronto, Oct.

Hazen, K., & Hall, L. (1999). Dialect shifts in West Virginia families. InSoutheastern Conference on Linguistics (Vol. 60).

Hazen's  (2008) chapter "The Family" in The Handbook of Language Variation and Change.

And possibly related...

Starks, D., & Bayard, D. (2002). Individual variation in the acquisition of postvocalic/r: Day care and sibling order as potential variables. American Speech77(2), 184-194.

Dr. Paul De Decker
Assistant Professor, Linguistics &
Coordinator, Interdisciplinary Minor in NL Studies
http://www.mun.ca/nlst
Ph. 709-864-8132

One of my BA dissertation students is planning to conduct interviews within families,
recording their speech and probably also conducting some semi-structured interviews
with them, at a later time, about their dialect usage and differences between the
generations of their family. Now, walk into any collection of sociolinguistic
research and you'll immediately be tripping over studies of intergenerational dialect
differences within communities, but variation within individual families... that I'm
not so sure is very well covered. I recall Paul Kerswill and Eivind Torgersen's 2004
article in JoS referencing James Hurford's 1967 PhD thesis examining one East London
family's language use. I've also since found this paper http://goo.gl/JwQfl3, which
isn't quite what I'm after but does have useful discussions of the role of family.
There's a fair bit of research within families discussing language *shift*, but not
as much (that I can find) about dialect variation. Surely this has had more
coverage... Anyone? Ideally I'm looking for stuff on British English dialects, but
from a general methodological and theoretical point of view, studies from anywhere
would be useful.

Please reply to me off the main list and I'll report back with the responses.

Thanks,
Dave

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1