Hi Dave,

A few other sources to add to your list, though this might have been what Julie had in mind...

Hamilton, S., & Hazen, K. (2009). Dialect research in Appalachia: A family case study. West Virginia History: A Journal of Regional Studies, 3(1), 81-107.

Hazen, K., & Hamilton, S. (2008). A Dialect Turned Inside Out Migration and the Appalachian Diaspora. Journal of English Linguistics, 36(2), 105-128.

Hazen, K. (1999). The family as a sociolinguistic unit. In 28th annual meeting on New Ways of Analyzing Variation in English (NWAVE 28), Toronto, Oct.

Hazen, K., & Hall, L. (1999). Dialect shifts in West Virginia families. InSoutheastern Conference on Linguistics (Vol. 60).

Hazen's  (2008) chapter "The Family" in The Handbook of Language Variation and Change.

And possibly related...

Starks, D., & Bayard, D. (2002). Individual variation in the acquisition of postvocalic/r: Day care and sibling order as potential variables. American Speech, 77(2), 184-194.

Dr. Paul De Decker
Assistant Professor, Linguistics &
Coordinator, Interdisciplinary Minor in NL Studies
http://www.mun.ca/nlst
Ph. 709-864-8132