And the remarkable thing about men son's adaptation to the absence of intervocalic voicing/flapping in his OzEng interlocutors, in words like water, little, etc. was his huge overgeneralization.  Some three months after starting daycare in Sydney, he abruptly began to devoice ALL medial obstruents in the appropriate metrical context.  Hence, daddy>datty, doggie>dockie, baby buggy> bapy bucky, table > teipu (with his customary vocalization of syllabic /l/), bobbu (his consonant-harmonized and /l vocalized version of 'bottle')> boppu, and... taa da.. fricatives!  Viz, his 'fuzzy bear', became, to our great amusement, his 'fussy bear', over>ofer, and when in this time period he learned (from me) the words 'driver' and 'driving', he duly pronounced them as 'driver' and 'driving'.

This hypergeneralization only lasted in its fullest form for about 8 weeks.  Since neither his parents nor his Aussie peers and teachers provided any supporting evidence, he started to peel back the classes of sounds that underwent devoicing, and did so by natural classes.  First to go back to voicelessness were the fricatives; next he resumed voiceless articulations of the stops one place of articulation at a time, beginning with velars (hence dockie, bucky go back to being doggie, buggy), followed by labials (teipu, bapy> teibu, baby).  But the point of origin of the problem was trickier to figure out: he kept on saying daddy and body as datty and botty right up until we brought him back to the USA.  I conjecture that this was a consequence of having no distinction in his underlying forms.  In his earliest language acquisition (which occurred in Philadelphia)  /t/ and /d/ were effectively merged in the flapping context.  The only evidence for an underlying distinction is morphological alternations like bet-betting vs. bed-bedding, which presumably a 2 year old doesn't have much experience with.  So since he had identical URs for words which in his OzEng target speech were sometimes voiced and sometimes voiceless, he had to learn them effectively word by word.  He called me datty until about 3 months after we moved to Ithaca.

Greg