Ah, there’s more than one Antipodean on here! :-) I mostly work on variation in Auslan and BSL rather than English, however. I’m a native Australian English speaker here who I grew up in the working-class western suburbs of Sydney and I can confirm you’d be less like to hear flapping in middle class University of Sydney academics and their children, but I hear it my family. Pronouncing all those words with a flap sounds fine to me, although I’m not sure how much I do it myself.
--

Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, PhD https://latrobe.academia.edu/AdamSchembri
Linguistics program | Department of Languages, Histories and Cultures | Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences | La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia |Tel : +61 3 9479 2887 | Mob: +61 432 840 744 | Twitter: @AdamCSchembri | Director, Centre for Research on Language Diversity http://www.latrobe.edu.au/crld & Linguistics Discipline Research Program| Sign Language Linguistics Society: http://www.slls.eu<http://www.slls.eu/> | ALLY Network Member supporting GLBTIQ students and staff:  www.latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally http://www.latrobe.edu.au/equality/ally

From: Gregory R Guy <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Friday, 10 October 2014 7:00
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: dialect variation within families

Well, the Oz speakers whom I was friendly with in the 1980s, including the kids and teachers at my son's pre-school, uttered words like water, little, better, with voiceless stops in the middle, often with noticeable aspirated releases.  So if flapping is a general characteristic today, there's been a change.  Although I can't rule out the possibility that it's socially stratified: I worked at Sydney Uni with academics, and my son went to the Sydney Uni daycare with the children of academics.  I note that our resident antipodean variationist, Miriam Meyerhoff, declares it to be variable.

Greg