-- Please circulate widely --

The creation of the Iberian and Latin American Network of Geography, Gender and Sexuality (REGGSILA) aims to make visible the production of knowledge in these geographical and cultural contexts, to foster the development of research in this area of ​​knowledge, to enhance synergies between Iberian and Latin American research centres, and to consolidate the presence of topics related to gender and sexuality in higher education in geography.

Besides sharing specific geographical, historical and cultural contexts and languages, we have a common research background based on a feminist theory framework, social and politically engaged. We acknowledge the centrality of the body on gender and sexuality research, the importance of positionality, and that the production of knowledge is entangled in power relations and it is a process both personal and political.

The geographies of gender and sexuality have had an Anglophone prevalence which is not limited to the use of English as the working language, but extends to a cultural hegemony and forms of knowledge production. We question this Anglo-Saxon cultural hegemony and the hierarchy of forms of knowledge production. We believe that the dissemination and visibility of research on geographies of gender and sexuality in Iberian and Latin-American contexts can promote a diversity of discourses of knowledge in an area which has been characterized by a hegemonic discourse. A wider visibility of non-hegemonic scientific discourses on gender and sexualities can constitute an important contribution to the social sciences in general and to social and cultural geography in particular.

Researchers can apply to become a member of the network at www.reggsila.com/. The inclusion factor is to work on gender and sexualities in the context of Iberian and Latin American cultures.

Hoping to hear from you,

Eduarda Ferreira