Dear Rasha,

One way you can do it is flip your images using the attached function and then use ImCalc to compute your laterality index from the original and flipped images. You can then display the resulting image and read out the values voxel by voxel.  If you want to get an average over ROI from an image there are definitely some SPM extensions allowing you to do that but I'm not well familiar with them. Other people on the list might have a better idea.

Best,

Vladimir