A couple of comments:
(1) The smoothness in SPM can be found in SPM.mat file --. SPM.xVol.FWHM.
(2) spm_estimate_smoothness uses the actual residual images. The ResMS is the mean of the squares of the residuals.
(3) spm_estimate returns a value in voxels
(4) For AFNI, you should take the squareroot of the ResMS image first to get something more similar to the individual residual images.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
=================
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren
Office: (773) 406-2464
=====================
406-2464 or email.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM, John Flournoy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi All,

I've been scouring the Internet and the lit for how to properly estimate smoothness for finding empirical cluster/p-value combos for FDR correction. Many sources indicate one should average the estimated FWHM for first-level (that is, individual level) model residuals. Hopefully I'm correct that the residuals are in ResMS.nii. This seems pretty straightforward using AFNI's 3dFWHMx, but I'd like to automate the process using SPM and MATLAB, so I've been looking into the `spm_est_smoothness`. Below are the return values for the SPM function and for the AFNI program, which are wildly different (notice that spm_est_smoothness FWHM is of the order 10^3:

SPM:

>> [FWHM,VRpv,R] = spm_est_smoothness('ResMS.nii','mask.nii')
Spatial non-sphericity (over scans)     :                        ...done

FWHM =

   1.0e+03 *

    1.0528    1.1365    1.1931

VRpv =

      fname: 'RPV.nii'
        dim: [53 63 52]
         dt: [64 0]
        mat: [4x4 double]
      pinfo: [3x1 double]
    descrip: 'spm_spm: resels per voxel'
          n: [1 1]
    private: [1x1 nifti]

R =

    2.0000    0.1286    0.0048    0.0000

AFNI:

$ 3dFWHMx -mask mask.nii ResMS.nii
++ 3dFWHMx: AFNI version=AFNI_2011_12_21_1014 (Jun 16 2014) [64-bit]
++ Authored by: The Bob
++ Number of voxels in mask = 60139
** AFNI converts NIFTI_datatype=64 (FLOAT64) in file ResMS.nii to FLOAT32
     Warnings of this type will be muted for this session.
     Set AFNI_NIFTI_TYPE_WARN to YES to see them all, NO to see none.
 8.85452  9.52384  8.40267

Does anyone know what's going on here? Thanks much for any insight!

~j