Can anyone please give me some information, chapter and verse, on the subject of village institutes?  So far as I am aware, they no longer exist, as such, though I suspect that many of their functions were taken over by the public libraries when they appeared.

I ask because in Carrie's diaries, there is an entry in December 1907,
"At work on his speech for opening the Institute at Burwash", and I can find nothing on the Web to tell me about village institutes, nor Burwash's in particular.  Nor is there any mention in any of the usual biographies.

Alastair Wilson