As institutional RDM support services are getting better established, are any patterns emerging in which domains are taking them up?

I changed the subject line as it has gone off the track of Gareth's question, and Tim Banks' point about the mismatch between active data and preservation file formats. The connection to my question is that while we can offer people task models and cost categories, I would guess researchers in some domains are more receptive than others to the idea that they could apply these models and checklist without radical changes to their practice.

If you are involved in running an institutional RDM service are there any domain differences that stand out in your experience?  (I'm thinking in terms of advice being followed up, through to stuff actually being offered for deposit somewhere) If so, what do think are the characteristics of those domains that bring researchers to engage with an institutional service?

I'm prompted to ask by Norman's points below, which I recognise from case studies that I and others did a while back (e.g. for RIN and DCC SCARP projects). I came across work at that time by information scientist Jenny Fry. She looked at differences between domains in their "degree of production and use of scholarly networked digital resources" and found the best explanatory factors for success (or maturity may be a better word) in that were high ‘mutual dependence’ between researchers and low ‘task uncertainty’, with High Energy Physics being one example ( https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/11350)

I think something similar works towards domains' capability to get their archiving and curation off the ground and more formalised. That was also my experience from case studies. Being faced with the issue of understanding a colleague from another domain's data and methods, and finding somewhere to store stuff, is a catalyst towards taking archiving seriously. And I can see Norman's 'eating your own dogfood' factor at work in how open notebook science has developed in physical sciences, e.g. Labtrove at Southampton.

Hazarding a guess at which research groups would be best to proactively engage with, to build the take-up of an institutional data repository service, it would be in research groups that work in medium sized teams, have high data collection costs, and want to work more with either different kinds of data or researchers than they are used to dealing with.  I'm guessing that researchers who work mostly individually, or with cheap and readily available source data, are least likely to deposit with the institution.

I appreciate that  individual project and personal factors might be just as important here as any characteristics of the domain. Either way, I'm interested to know what do you think? How diverse or otherwise is takeup of your RDM service?

thanks,

ANgus