The forthcoming "Church Heritage Record" website and database may be of interest to list members:

The Church of England’s church buildings form the nation’s largest “estate” of built heritage. A village, town or city's church is often its oldest building still in continual use, as well as its largest and most visited building. Churches are also often an area's most architecturally complex and archaeologically sensitive buildings. In all cases, they were constructed for the glory of God, for worship and mission, and stand as repositories of our shared history. Local Record Offices across the country hold parish and diocesan archives relating to these churches and so are partners in our shared history.

ChurchCare (www.churchcare.co.uk) - the Church of England's national resource supporting our church buildings, has been working with the financial assistance of English Heritage, to develop the Church Heritage Record: which will be a publicly accessible digital database of church buildings integrated with a Geographic Information System (GIS), which will fulfil an educational and engagement role alongside its primary role in church planning and development.

When it is launched in spring 2015, the Church Heritage Record will contain over 16,000 entries on church buildings in England, covering a wide variety of topics from architectural history and archaeology, to worship and the surrounding natural environment. The information contained within has been developed and added to through desk-based research and fieldwork reports, as well as through local initiatives and thematic projects.

The Church Heritage Record will be continuously updated and developed thanks to the dedication and hard work of local volunteers across England. If you think you would like to help out, or you know of an interesting project happening in your area, contact Julie Patenaude at: [log in to unmask]

Declan Kelly
Church House
London