It is my understanding that the note I sent round about rich Americans
was a bit on the short side for those not immersed in current economic
analysis. I apologize for this. I think that the two links I present
this time about the richest Americans getting the biggest part of the
pie are better explained. In Randy Wray's chart, you will notice that
the 90% have had their share of the pie reduced.

I hope this works better for all.

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2014/10/rising-tides-lift-yachts-1-grabs-gains-growth.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/upshot/the-benefits-of-economic-expansions-are-increasingly-going-to-the-richest-americans.html

It is becoming clearer that it isn't sufficient to say that the economy
is growing simpliciter. It is necessary to know for whom it is growing.
While the US disparities are perhaps greater than those here, it is
obviously insufficient for Osborne (or Carney (who I have been told is a
closet neocon)) to merely point to economic growth and crow that their
austerity plans are working and that interest rates can now rise.
Working for whom? Who are these new interest rates going to benefit? The
answers I believe are becoming more obvious every day to more and more
people. Yet the organ grinder still plays on, even though the audience
no longer likes the tune.

The inexcusable cowardice of the Labour Party is inexplicable. All they
have to do to begin to put together an alternative economic narrative is
read one book, and it isn't Piketty's. It is Randall Wray's Modern Money
Theory. It is relatively short and not too technical. One may well
encounter unfamiliar concepts, but I think that is to be expected when
you come across a new narrative. This narrative has an illustrious
though not well known history. When you read some of the work that
informs this new narrative, known as MMT, you find that writers in the
thirties and forties seemed to understand how the economy worked better
than present claimants do. And the economic system we have now and have
had since 1971 is similar to the one that operated from around the
mid-thirties to the implementation of the Bretton Woods agreement in the
mid-forties.

I hope these links help show how almost everyone is getting shafted for
the benefit of a few. I should end with a small caveat. There is some
disagreement concerning the size of the disparity of the shaft. This is
one view of it.

larry

Dr L Brownstein
[Alt-e] [log in to unmask]

Review Editor
Radical Statistics

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.