I agree with Michael.  Why not encourage these sorts of free blogs to actually give something back, whether it's valuable editor's advice, or your own copyright?  I don't think this debate should be shouted down.  Especially on arguments that people the people who don't want to work for free are lazy snobs.  Frankly if money were involved, I bet these blog curators would have actual incentive to take on editing duties.

Collaboration is a fine thing.  These blogs can help link and showcase writers.  But there can be a world of difference between writing science for fun and passion, and actually being a good science communicator.  I did a lot of free writing while studying for an MSc in a sci-comm subject.  I rarely received any feedback.  So arguably I built up a portfolio- but only in professional, paid jobs did I receive valuable feedback, which massively improved my writing skills.  What's the point in garnering credits off free blogs if your writing doesn't improve?  Are we encouraging science communication to be a game of smoke and mirrors, talking ourselves up as great writers and communicators, bragging about credits and headlines, without being able to actually do the work?

Besides, why not create your own website and share your articles from there?  Creating my own website has given me the chance to learn a lot more about web design and social media.  Each article takes a lot of time to write alongside my day job.  I would not want to be criticised for not giving my writing away for free, to a stranger whose credentials I don't know.

@scient_art
www.scientart.com
LinkedIn profile
The Talent Manager profile