Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:15:02 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Blu Dot, a new science and technology blog, is looking forwriters.
To: [log in to unmask]

I am probably the target audience for this announcement, being an undergraduate student who is aiming to get into sci-comm, but already has some writing experience (mostly unpaid, though I did get a couple of honoraria for articles in an educational magazine). While I won't be putting myself forward for this role for various reasons (even though I rather like its design), I am rather disappointed in some aspects of the pile-up upon the original poster. There is a vast difference between writing for a new blog, essentially posting work you would have created anyway on a platform that would probably get more attention than a personal blog, and an unpaid internship.
On the topic of privilege, this difference is especially clear. If we're talking about getting into sci-comm, the person will either be studying a degree or have studied a degree. There are plenty of people who couldn't spend a whole summer working for free, particularly away from home, because that's a huge investment of time and money. They would have to have literally no free time if they couldn't write an occasional piece for free to build their portfolio, or even just because they like to write. If there are people in this situation (studying full-time and working full-time, perhaps), I'm not sure a blog paying them to write would make much difference unless it equalled enough of their wage for them to go part-time. Also, if they genuinely didn't have any free time at all I'd be more concerned for their present welfare than their future career prospects.
What really disappoints me about these semi-regular discussions on PSCI-COM is no one ever DOES anything - or at least, if they do, they don't publicise it here. Has there been a discussion at the Science Communication Conference on this issue? Are there campaigns aimed at the government and companies that you're involved in? Where are all the opportunities that you're creating? Where's the regular "New Writer Showcase" on all the major science sites? Perhaps I'm just not noticing.
I recently got accepted to do some paid part-time science communication work, but that was off the back of about six years of experience, mostly unpaid, and there are barely any opportunities out there for people in my position. I'm still going to be doing unpaid work because I love communicating science and consider it a hobby - and, yes, my privileges pay a role in this (I study with the OU so am very flexible, I have no dependants or caring obligations, I live with a supportive partner, I've been supremely lucky in being given so many opportunities, while I have long-term illnesses they're currently well-managed, etc.). I just started writing a blog for someone I know in real life, for free, but the motivation, practice and exposure are worth it for me. My own blog is mostly mental health-related opinions and book reviews at the moment and would probably stay that way if I hadn't had a word with myself about how science writers have to write science sometimes as well!
I do wish I could get more editing input, and am going to be creating a group for people in a similar position to me within another writing group in which I'm involved in order to do this, but if anyone could suggest how those of us who aren't lucky enough to be suitably advanced in our careers or taking the relevant courses could get some meaningful feedback on our writing, that would be excellent and a lot more productive than just talking about how bad writing for free is or isn't.
I think the motivation behind this blog would be something to discuss, along with copyright issues and the lack of editing (I agree they should make it clear that they don't pay writers, as well as who's behind the blog), but again this has turned into talking about all aspects of "unpaid work" while lumping all the different types into one category. It's also happening over the heads of the people it affects.
Regards,Courtney

. set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday)
. set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)
. signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
. Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com