Dear colleagues,

*With apologies for cross-posting*

The first seminar in the History of Pre-Modern Medicine 2014-15 series will take place next Tuesday (14th).

Please note - our location on the 14th will be the Wellcome Trust, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, NW1 2BE (a change to my previous communication about the series).  Doors will still be 6pm for a 6.15pm start.

Details:

Dr Anke Timmermann (University of Cambridge / London),

‘Bottled Knowledge: Drawings of Flasks and Vessels in Alchemical Manuscripts’

Abstract:

Sketches of alchemical flasks and vessels permeate late medieval and early modern manuscripts. It has often been assumed that these drawings are meant to be realistic depictions of laboratory equipment: visual reminders to alchemists of the tools used in daily practice in the workshop. But beyond their deceptively generic appearance a untold story lies: the story of alchemy as seen through its practitioners’ eyes and pens, of the processes of writing and drawing about alchemy, in and around the workshop, and of the communication of craft knowledge.

This presentation will provide a survey of flasks and vessels in English manuscripts from the fifteenth through seventeenth centuries, and begin to unravel their complex histories and meanings.

More details: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2014/10/bottled-knowledge/

Full details of the series: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2014/09/history-of-pre-modern-medicine-seminar-series-2014-15/

With best wishes,

Ross

Ross MacFarlane

Research Engagement Officer

Wellcome Library

Wellcome Trust

Gibbs Building

215 Euston Road

London NW1 2BE, UK

T +44 (0)20 7611 7340

F +44 (0)20 7611 8369

E [log in to unmask]

http://wellcomelibrary.org

We are a global charitable foundation dedicated to achieving extraordinary improvements in human and animal health. We support the brightest minds in biomedical research and the medical humanities. Our breadth of support includes public engagement, education and the application of research to improve health. We are independent of both political and commercial interests.

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, no. 2711000 (whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK).

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security