List members may be interested in the event below:

Science, Voyaging, Art, Empire: Study Day
Saturday 18 October | 10.30-16.30 | £30, £27 members. Price include lunch.

'Ambition leads me not only farther than any other man has been before me, but as far as I think it possible for man to go' - Captain James Cook
Captain James Cook's ambition took him to the far reaches of the Pacific and led to astronomical observations which measured the distance of Venus to the Sun with unprecedented accuracy. But Cook's ambition was not just personal and astronomical. It represented the colonial ambition of the British Empire which was linked inextricably with science and trade. Join us for a day of talks and informal group discussions exploring the relationship between science and empire.
www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/events/science-and-empire

Katherine McAlpine
Public Engagement Officer: Ships, Clocks and Stars

Royal Museums Greenwich
National Maritime Museum | Royal Observatory Greenwich | The Queen's House | Cutty Sark

Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
direct +44 (0) 208 312 6643