The Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine (CHSTM)
at the University of Manchester offers two fully funded studentships
(including maintenance allowance) for graduate study in the history of
the biological sciences and/or medicine after 1800. The positions are
supported by the Williamson Fund, which was established to further the
study of these subjects at the University.

Candidates may apply for a studentship in either of two schemes:

*(a) Master's plus PhD study. *This scheme is open to students with an
undergraduate qualification. It covers, initially, full course fees and
a living allowance for our one-year taught Master's (MSc) in History of
Science, Technology and Medicine, which will provide training for
doctoral research study. If the student shows satisfactory progress on
the MSc, it will then be extended to cover three years of full-time PhD
study, again including full course fees and a living allowance.

*(b) PhD study. *This scheme is open to students with a relevant
Master's-level qualification. It covers full course fees and a living
allowance for three years of full-time PhD study at CHSTM.

*ELIGIBILITY*

The studentships are open to all suitably qualified UK and European
Union candidates. We regret that we cannot at present extend the scheme
to non-UK/EU students who would pay fees at the international rate. The
studentships are available for full-time study only, and candidates must
be available to begin their studies in September 2015.

The requirements for the two schemes are as follows:

*(a) Master's plus PhD study. *The studentships are aimed at highly
motivated students with a strong commitment to proceeding through the
MSc to PhD research at CHSTM. Doctoral work is demanding, and the
requirements for a studentship are higher than those for acceptance on
the Master's programme overall. We will consider all bursary applicants
with a *First-class undergraduate degree* or international equivalent
(see
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/grade-comparison-of-overseas-qualifications)
*in a relevant subject* such as history, science studies/STS, museology
or science communication. However, we will also consider other
applicants who can demonstrate strong aptitude for historical or related
work through their study backgrounds or professional experience.

*(b) PhD study. *Applicants should have a Master's-level qualification,
at Distinction or Merit level or international equivalent, in a relevant
subject such as HSTM, medical humanities, history, science studies/STS,
museology or science communication, and should have experience in
producing a research dissertation.

Applicants will also need to have thought carefully about a potential
PhD research project, and should have discussed this with one or more
potential supervisors at CHSTM to ensure its viability.

*SUPPORT*

The studentships cover all course fees at the UK/EU rate and provide an
annual living allowance, provisionally set at £14 210 (to be confirmed)
for 2015-16. Funds have also been committed to ensure that appropriate
training and research support is provided.

*FURTHER INFORMATION, APPLICATION FORM AND DEADLINE*

The deadline for applications is *Friday 29 May 2015.* Applicants will
need to provide full degree transcripts, two academic references and a
statement outlining their interest in the field (scheme a) or proposed
research topic (scheme b).

For full particulars and an application form, please see our website:
http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/funding/williamson-2015.aspx

For further details of our taught Master's programme in history of
science, technology and medicine, see
http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/

For PhD research at CHSTM, see
http://www.chstm.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/