medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear colleagues,

given the George's encouragement following the recent interesting question on whether lists are dying, I thought I'd try the patience of the list's users with a question whose answer will no doubt be obvious to some.  I am still following references to 'in specie carnis', which which you helped me greatly not long ago. A database search came up with this from Aquinas' In IV sententiarum (from the commentaries on Peter Lombard's Libri sententiarum):

Quidam enim dicunt, quod species illa carnis vel pueri est tantum in oculo videntis: et hoc forte aliquando verum est, cum ab uno videatur in specie panis, et ab alio in specie carnis vel pueri;

The time I can spend in a research library is limited so I try to do as much as I can in a few hours.  I noted this down but didn't read the whole context.  Is the puer referred to a vision of the christ child at the Eucharist??

Many thanks, as always
Cate