Thanks for your observation, Al. There is no doubt that the volume of messages has gone down over the years. Up until about seven years ago, this list averaged about ten messages daily. One reason for the drop is that some people prefer to ask mini-groups, of their own creation, any questions they may have. Another is that some of the regular traffic we had here at medieval-religion was tied to the daily FEAST messages, dealing with the saints' feasts of the day.

Overall, it's my impression and belief that a smaller quantity of messages does not necessarily equal a decrease in quality or in usefulness. As it is, medieval-religion remains the largest list, and on average the one with the greatest quantity of messages, but as far as I am concerned -- and this is a personal opinion -- we've managed here to stay on the ball in our discussions, and this for me is of the greatest importance.

I used to say it regularly to the list, but perhaps I should do so again: if any of you is facing any difficulties with research, ask the rest of us; given our numbers and our expertise, I think it's likely that help is not far away.

Thanks again, Al -- best wishes, George