Dear George,
As far as representations of hell are concerned, "vice" only really began to be incorporated into the economy of sin during the 14th century, the Last Judgement fresco in the Camposanto in Pisa, from the 1330s, being a rather important transitional work.  This issue has been very thoroughly treated by Jerome Baschet, Les justices de l'au-dela. Les representations de l'enfer en France et en Italie (XIIe-XVe siecle), 2nd edn (Rome, 2014).
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Cyprian Rosen [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: October 5, 2014 7:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] it's a sin

Dear George,

As I recall, vice is something habitual, the opposite of virtue (a good habit).  Sin can be a single action, although could be in the "state of sin."

Cyprian Rosen

On 10/05/14, George Ferzoco<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Excellent advice, Marjorie; thank you! I'll do a scan of Bonaventure's works for this, too. But you know what it's like: there is such an ocean of material out there, and for me at least, being 'in piccioletta barca' (Dante) can be frightening.
Best wishes, George