In the 13th century English Ancrene Wisse they are the seven 'heaued
sunnen' ['head sins', translated as 'capital sins' by Bella Millett,
Guide for Anchoresses, University of Exeter Press, 2009, p. 74].  The
author of AW then listed all seven, which he thought of as
'temptations' (in line with Cassian's original understanding),
describing them as animals with their offspring.  For example, the
lion of pride has the cubs vainglory, disdain, hypocrisy, presumption
etc. To return to your original question about cowardice (that was it
wasn't it?) 'Pusillanimity' ['Pusillanimitas'] is one of the offspring
of the bear of heavy sloth and is described as 'a heart that is just
too wretched and too cowardly ['earh'] to take on any lofty
enterprise . . . ' [p. 77 in both translation and text edited by Bella
Millett for EETS].
The capital sins can, as I understand it, be considered temptations
which if indulged in become habits which must be rooted out by
confession.  So a single moment of pride or jealousy may not condemn
you to everlasting damnation, but take pride or jealousy as the
leading motivation in your life and you will probably end up
committing a deadly sin.
But have you noticed how many more books are written - now and in the
Middle Ages - on vice than on virtue?  The virtues tend to be an 'add-
on' to the exposition of the sins.

Cate