Title: "Forbidden Access: Censoring Books and Archives"

Date:  6-7 November

Venue: Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU.

Keynote speaker: Rachel Potter, Professor of Modern Literature at the University of East Anglia.
Conference Website:   http://www.ies.sas.ac.uk/ies-conferences/ForbiddenAccess

'Forbidden Access' is a multidisciplinary conference exploring how published works and archival materials and the ideas contained in them are affected, obscured or distorted by censorship.

The conference seeks to explore the proliferating and divisive causes, symptoms and effects of the censoring impulse, from overt interference with a text to the subtler, intangible effects of caution and fear in the face of anticipated control, and to do so in relation to a variety of angles and contexts: aesthetic, cultural, socio-economic, ideological, legal, and political.

Enquiries: Institute of English Studies, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU; tel +44 (0) 207 862 8675; Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Belinda Crothers
Academic Programmes Manager
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
School of Advanced Study, University of London
17 Russell Square, London WC1B 5DR
Tel: 020 7862 5841.  Fax: 020 7862 5850
Web: www.ials.sas.ac.uk<http://www.ials.sas.ac.uk>

The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales. We are committed to achieving a 20% cut in emissions from University buildings by 2015. Please think before you print.