Thanks Ian...The comment from Tim Worstell  is encouraging. I'm eagerly
awaiting for my local library to offer the service : )

Your comment about quiet study spaces is also important. In HE libraries are
typically increasing the space they make available as dedicated 'learning
spaces'.  This also allows me to extend the discussion to the role of public
libraries in learning. It was encouraging to hear Alison Wheeler (SCL)
speaking at the recent Westminster Forum on Community Learning
(http://www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/forums/agenda/community-learning-
2014-agenda.pdf) .  Several of the other speakers mentioned Community
Learning partnerships that included public libraries but overall the public
library contribution seemed rather muted.

Nicholas Fox, (Director, Individual Learning Company) spoke about the
availability of significant funding to support Community Learning
initiatives -though not necessarily from government or LAs. It certainly
reinforced my view there is significant opportunity for public libraries to
extend their role in this area.

Some of these issues will be aired further at a CILIP event in London on
13th November - "Re-imagining learning: a new opportunity for libraries"
http://www.cilip.org.uk/cilip/events/re-imagining-learning-new-opportunity-l
ibraries. Ciara Eastell from SCL will be speaking, as will Nicky Whitsed
from the Open University which is leading the 'Futurelearn' MOOC ( more on
MOOCs and libraries on LGLibTech
http://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/MOOCs+and+Libraries

Oh yes -has anyone asked Access to Research if they would include British
Standards in their offer? It does seem to me as if that might meet very well
Chris's need for "alternative models for providing British Standards are
currently adopted in public libraries that do not have access to the online
service from BSOL"

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd Tel: +44(0)7788727845
<http://www.kenchadconsuting.com/> http://www.kenchadconsuting.com Twitter: