Dear all had some really useful information sent :-

NHS IQ brought this out a fortnight ago  forgets that Google does an automatic AND but might help the search help certainly will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRWy8iYRg8

http://www.nhsiq.nhs.uk/media/2532324/nhs_iq_-_intelligence_handbook_-_boolean_search_help.pdf

_______________________________
I have done a section on Libguide:
http://aub.edu.lb.libguides.com/sml/medicine

go to section "general search guide" to find the info about Boolean operators.
Good luck

Hi Maureen,

By "new starters" do you mean "new library staff" or "new library users"?

I have watched users and seen statistics on searches. Users will search for X AND Y and find nothing and then search for X AND Y AND Z and still find nothing and are puzzled. They don't understand basic Boolean logic that AND narrows a search! So I can see why you might find a guide necessary.

However if you are talking about new library users and your library OPAC still requires your users to use Boolean logic in simple searches then I would suggest you seriously consider ditching it! Modern OPACs don't require users to use Boolean logic except maybe in the Advanced Search. When web services like Amazon allow users to find titles and products among millions without the user having to do more than type a word or phrase then there are serious questions to be asked about OPACs searching a smaller number of library resources which still require users to enter complicated search algorithms.

If you mean new library staff I hope they still teach Boolean logic at library school these days because even if it's not explicit in the search an understanding of what's happening behind the scenes in search engines is essential for good information retrieval tactics. But call me old fashioned the basics of librarianship and information retrieval seem to be optional on library and information courses these days!