Hi everyone

I am interested to know whether any of you working in Learning Development or other non-academic roles are given any remission from your regular working schedule in order to carry out and disseminate research. Also, is there any form of contract of employment at your institution that recognises the research activity carried out by staff members in support roles, who are not on teaching or specifically research contracts?

Further, have any of your received an Associate Professor or Professor title, and if so, does that have any impact in terms of contract, pay scale or research remission?

The situation at Solent…

To start the comparison, I can tell you that research for non-academic staff is an ‘over and above’ activity, something that we are given allowance to carry out provided our line management views it favourably, and it very often requires out of hours work to complete. There is a small amount of budget available for Professional Development, which can be allocated to conference attendance and other research and dissemination activities, but it is quite restricted (no international travel). Further, although non-academic staff can receive Professorial titles, there is no change of contract, pay or remission of hours associated with this (it is worth noting that this lack of change also applies to academics on teaching contracts).

Cheers to you all

Andrew

Andrew Doig, Associate Professor

Instructional Developer