On Oct 3, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Daniel Payne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Incidentally, I've just heard back from OUP regarding a book chapter permission request I sent, who mentioned the following:

" We are currently reviewing our position on archiving and embargo periods, so I wanted to wait for the updated policy document before advising you. It is due out this month and I will get back to you as a priority."

So it seems OUP are also due for a change shortly.

OUP's policy was already worse than even CUP's current back-slid policy. No news here except maybe what they mean to say about book chapters.

If you want to see the absurd smokescreen of parti-colored FUD that OUP has launched to confuse and discourage authors, go to http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/search.php and enter oxford to see the shameful mess.

Romeo is not without a share of the blame for this because they practically invited publishers to do this by faithfully cataloguing every arbitrary whim publishers toyed with including in their policies instead of refusing to catalogue anything but the bare basics:

(1) Can the refereed preprint be made open access (Gratis) immediately or is OA embargoed?

If yes, then the publisher (or journal) is GREEN.

If not the publisher (or journal) is GRAY.

(2) If OA is embargoed, how long: 3 mo? 6 mo? 12 mo? Longer?

That's all. All the Romeo colours are useless (and incoherent: blues if green, green is green, yellow is gray, white is gray) and just encourage everyone to spend their time doing chromatic fantasies instead depositing articles. And the only Oxford/Romeo greens are paid Gold!

But the Liège Model  Mandate and the HEFCE/REF2020 Mandate trump all this FUD and foolishness: Just deposit immediately upon acceptance in any case, and then, if you have the inclination or the stomach to wade through the FUD to decide whether and when when to make the deposit OA, go ahead.

Meanwhile, either make it OA immediately or rely on the repository's copy-request Button.

(Yech -- the look at the Romeo/Oxford search output is enough to elicit reverse peristalsis and projectile emesis...)

Fed up and dyspeptic Archivangelist

Oxford University Press (OUP)YellowDefault PoliciesJournal list
AoBGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Economic StudiesYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
EJILYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Past and PresentWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy AYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A - Oxford Open Option AYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A - Oxford Open Option BYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A - Oxford Open Option FYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A1WhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy A1 - Oxford Open Option CWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy A1 - Oxford Open Option FWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy BYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option AYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option BYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option B - RCUKYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option CYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B - Oxford Open Option FYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B1YellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B1 - Oxford Open Option BYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy B1 - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy CGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy C - Option AGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy C - Option BGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy DYellowSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy D - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy EYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option AYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option BYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option B - RCUKYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option CYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option EYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option FYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy E - Oxford Open Option GYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy FYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy F - Oxford Open Option CYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy F - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy F - Oxford Open Option GYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy GWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy HWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy H - Oxford Open Option AWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy H - Oxford Open Option BWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy H - Oxford Open Option DWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy IWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy I - Oxford Open Option DWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy I - Oxford Open Option GWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy JYellowSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy J - Oxford Open Option EYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy KYellowSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy K - Oxford Open Option DYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy K - Oxford Open Option EYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy LWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy MYellowSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy NWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy OWhiteSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy PGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy P - Oxford Open Option AGreenSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy QBlueSpecial PolicyJournal list
Policy RWhiteSpecial PolicyNo information
Policy R - Oxford Open Option D