On Oct 6, 2014, at 9:30 AM, Joseph Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Just wanted to add to this that we heard the following back from Oxford regarding book chapters recently (14 August 2014):

Authors are permitted to place up to 10% of their contribution to an edited book (providing that this does not exceed 1,000 contiguous words) in an institutional repository without requiring permission.  For information on our author reuse policy please follow this link:
http://www.oup.co.uk/academic/rights/permissions/AutPerm/

10% of a chapter? We take this as effectively no OA on book chapters. In the past they have allowed us to archive chapters (with permission). Makes my job easier (a ‘no’ policy is better than ‘no policy’), but it’s a pity for the humanities.

Solution:

Self-archive 100% of the final, corrected author’s draft, set access as Restricted Access if you wish, and rely on the repository’ copy-request Button.

 Re. the Romeo colours… they also find their way via the API into various CRIS systems. This gives the impression to some administrators that the publisher policy problem is easily solved by using the Romeo API in the CRIS, a sort of copyright silver bullet. But both green and blue can mean either ‘post print’ or ’published version’. In my experience authors want to know ‘can I upload the published version or not’ (the rare easy route) and if not then ‘can I upload the postprint’ (maybe we should just hard-code this into the interface ‘yes, you can always upload the postprint!). I second a category system that says ‘post-print yes/no’—or if it has to be more complex, matches only one category per version.

You can always deposit either version and use the Button for either one. But it’s better to deposit the refereed final draft because it has fewer publisher restrictions on OA.

And the good advice to give authors who are obsessed with wanting to use the publisher PDF rather than the refereed final draft is that they are fussing about nothing at all: Just deposit the final draft and make life easier for everyone: Nothing substantive, scholarly or scientific — nothing — is at stake. Just needless headaches, for no good reason whatsoever...

Chrs, S

Joseph Greene
Research Repository Librarian
James Joyce Library