Some useful clarification of the ambiguities in the HEFCE instructions
Stevan, for which thanks. But it would be easier now to count angels
dancing on the head of a pin, than to make proper sense of the status quo.

Best,

Philip Hunter

Quoting Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>:

> A little bit of (easily resolved but very important) ambiguity has crept
into
> the HEFCE instructions and FAQ:
>
> Many items conflate DEPOSIT and OPEN-ACCESS DEPOSIT.
>
> It is ever so important, in order to prevent misunderstanding and to
ensure
> timely compliance, to clearly distingush DEPOSIT rules from OPEN-ACCESS
> rules.
>
> DEPOSIT IMMEDIATELY UPON ACCEPTANCE (with 3-month grace period) has to
be
> mandatory.
>
> Rules concerning when the deposit is made OA should be clearly separate
from
> this.
>
> Here are the ambiguous passages:
>
> "The policy states that, to be eligible for submission to the post-2014
REF,
> authors’ final peer-reviewed manuscripts must have been deposited in an
> institutional or subject repository on acceptance for publication.
Deposited
> material should be discoverable, and free to read and download, for
anyone
> with an internet connection. “
>
> The article must be deposited immediately upon acceptance but deposits
do not
> need to be made OA immediately upon acceptance.
>
> 11. From what start point is the embargo period active, and how can this
be
> calculated? (NEW)
> Embargo periods are normally calculated from the date of first
publication,
> including online publication, but publishers may set their own policy.
If the
> paper is not published by the time it is deposited, the embargo end date
must
> be entered into the repository record at a later point. Institutions may
> choose to ask for ‘closed’ deposits from authors, and when they know the
> output has been published (perhaps assisted by a publications index),
they
> may set the embargo period based on information found in SHERPA/RoMEO.
Over
> time, publications metadata will evolve to include embargo information,
> allowing for this step to be completely automated. Publishers are
committed
> to implementing the NISO-approved <license_ref> tag to provide the
> publication date, the embargo end date and any licence metadata for
green
> open-access via CrossRef. Repositories will be able to ingest these
metadata
> from CrossRef automatically, meaning deposits can be made accessible at
the
> end of the embargo period without any additional manual work.
>
> Deposit is upon acceptance. Papers are almost never published
immediately
> upon acceptance.
>
> 19. Some publishers ask that institutions sign agreements before
allowing
> deposit of outputs in the repository (specifying that embargo periods
will be
> respected etc.) Must institutions sign these in order to create the
> conditions for compliance? (NEW)
> This is a question that concerns the relationship between institutions
and
> publishers. If institutions wish to achieve open access via their
> institutional repository, and agreements are required by publishers in
order
> for outputs to be deposited, then we do not see these as a barrier to
> compliance. If agreements are signed, we would welcome a brief report on
> these to be emailed to [log in to unmask]
>
> Publishers have absolutely no say over deposit itself, only over when
the
> deposit is made OA.
>
> 21. What should Medical Research Council and Wellcome Trust-funded
authors
> do? (NEW)
> Authors who receive funding from the Medical Research Council, the
Wellcome
> Trust and a number of other funders are required to deposit their papers
in
> Europe PubMed Central. This repository is a permitted venue for
complying
> with the REF open-access policy requirements. However, authors, when
> publishing in a fully OA journal (or a hybrid journal in which they have
> selected the author pays option) should not deposit their accepted
> manuscripts in Europe PubMed Central because the final, version of
record,
> paper will be automatically deposited by the publisher into the Europe
PMC
> repository.
>
> If this automatic deposit happens within three months of acceptance, the
REF
> deposit requirements will be met and no further action is needed by the
> author. If automatic deposit does not happen within three months of
> acceptance, the author will need to deposit their manuscript elsewhere
> (typically in an institutional repository) in order to meet the REF
deposit
> requirements.
>
> (1) Deposit is supposed to be immediately (within 3 months) of
acceptance,
> not publication. It is OA that is calculated from date of publication.
> (2) How is it to be determined whether automatic publisher (OA) deposit
has
> taken place within 3 months of publications? And what about
> publisher-embargoed OA?
>
> MRC/Wellcome authors should, like all other authors, have to comply with
the
> immediate-deposit requirements of HEFCE. It is a big mistake to loosen
the
> rules for them. In PMC deposits, the “automatic deposit” can be as late
as
> subsequent to the OA embargo (6-12 months), which is far, far later than
the
> immediate-upon-acceptance requirement for everyone else.
>
> 29. If a publisher actively disallows deposit, but has a ‘hybrid’ gold
OA

This mail sent through http://www.easynetdial.co.uk