Hi Jo and others

A really good question. I've done a lot of consultation with teachers
over the last few years, often to inform HLF activity plans, and
usually find they don't know where to look online for good quality
resources. Google is the first port of call, as you might expect, but
they'll search for specific topics rather for museum/archive resources
particularly. I've heard mixed reports from teachers about the
usefulness of TES, it would be interesting to know if other GEM
members have used it or have any insights on how teachers do?

I've uploaded resources to TES and there is a steady drip of downloads
but I don't have any way of knowing whether they are actually used or
by whom. As a user, I find TES frustrating - there are some gems on
there but an awful lot to wade through in order to find them.  Anyone
can upload anything and there isn't any quality control other than
popularity. Perhaps in recognition of this, TES is now piloting
charging for resources that it will pay teachers (and presumably
others) to create. This might present a useful opportunity for our
sector - though they are not currently paying very much!

I don't think I've seen the MyLearning website mentioned yet in
discussions of online learning materials, though I'm sure Nick will
have come across it in responses. www.mylearning.org is a huge online
learning resource created specifically for the cultural sector and
recently reached a million unique visits over 12 months. It was
originally a Renaissance initiative but is now managed by Leeds
Museums & Galleries. The team who run it have a teacher panel that
reviews resources before they're published, collect detailed usage
stats and can create resources for museums that don't have the
capacity or skills to do it themselves. It would be worth a look.

best wishes

Emma

www.emmakingconsultancy.co.uk
@emmaking01