Posted on behalf of Agnieszka Piotrowska, who is away in Zimbabwe.

EMBODIED ENCOUNTERS - NEW APPROACHES TO PSYCHOANALYSIS AND CINEMA

Dear Colleagues

To mark the publication by Routledge of a new book of collected essays edited by me and entitled Embodied Encounters: New Approaches to Psychoanalysis and Cinema, we will be holding our second annual event at the Freud Museum on 27th October 2014.

The collection includes the speakers from the previous year's event as well as a group of new international scholars, working within a variety of psychoanalytic frameworks and tackling diverse topics, from Breillat to documentary to Zero Dark Thirty.

On 27th October we will meet at the Freud Museum for symposium which will celebrate the book and the new ways of thinking about the unconscious and the body in film. The programme will be as follows:

Embodied Encounters - Programme

Chair: Agnieszka Piotrowska (Bedfordshire)

9.00: Arrival - Registration and Coffee
9.30-10.30: Richard Rushton (Lancaster) on Psychoanalysis and Film

10.30-11.15: Ben Tyrer (KCL) on Black Swan and Feminine Jouissance

11.15-11.30: Coffee

11.30-12.15: Carla Ambrosio Garcia (KCL) on Material Encounters with Film

12.15-1.15: Elizabeth Cowie (Kent) on Embodied Documentary

1.15-2.15: Lunch

2.15-3.15: Robert Burgoyne (St. Andrews) on Destroying and Creating

3.15-4.00: Helena Bassil-Morozow (Bedfordshire) on Loss in Tarkovsky

4.00-4.45: Carol MacGillivray (Goldsmith's) on the Diasynochronscope

4.45-5.00: Coffee

5.00-6.00: Plenary with all Embodied Encounters participants

6.00-8.00: BOOK LAUNCH with contributions from Elizabeth Cowie, Agnieszka Piotrowska, Karen Randell (Bedfordshire), Richard Rushton, Naomi Segal (Birkbeck) and Scott Wilson (Kingston)

The event is free but please register soonest on https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/embodied-encounters-tickets-12908223845

Reviews for Embodied Encounters:

"Embodied Encounters represents a landmark moment in the intersection of psychoanalysis and film studies...Reading this book is requisite for anyone who wants to understand the body when it meets the screen." -Todd McGowan, University of Vermont, USA

"Agnieszka Piotrowska's Embodied Encounters...is an important and timely collection that revitalizes psychoanalytic film theory for the twenty-first century, offering fresh engagements with leading auteurs and significant films." -Scott Wilson, Professor in Psychoanalysis and Media, Kingston University, London, UK

"Embodied Encounters is a timely collection, a significant statement of how important psychoanalysis is for illuminating what films do and of clarifying the effects and affects films can produce...Essential reading for anyone who cares about cinema." -Richard Rushton, Lancaster University, UK

You can also learn more about the event here: http://psychoanalysisandcinema.wordpress.com<http://psychoanalysisandcinema.wordpress.com/> and the book here http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138795259/

We look forward to seeing you there!

Kind regards

Dr. Agnieszka Piotrowska

Reader in Film Practice and Theory