Dear Wouter the Cochrane Risk of Bias (ROB) tool is used to assess bias in randomised controlled trials (RCTs).

There is no Cochrane tool for observational studies. My group uses the Newcastle Ottawa Scale for that.

However what I sent around yesterday regarded the assessment of ROB in clinical study reports of RCTs, not publications.

Hope this clarifies,

Tom.