-one critical question, postmarketing, the rate of adverse events spontaneus reporting versus systematic studies
-for example, about flu vaccine
-see below
-un saludo
-juan gérvas

Prior to marketing of pandemic influenza vaccines, the only safety data were those from clinical trials. The objective of this study was to compare information coming from spontaneous reporting with that systematically collected in a formal observation study; this also permits to further evaluate safety of pandemic influenza vaccines in the targeted patients' population. Out of a sample of 507 vaccinated subjects, 103 (20.3%) developed some complication. In the same period 83 reports corresponding to all vaccinated people of Castilla y León (Spain) (n=131,462) were collected. Severe cases were 1 (1%) and 7 (8.4%), respectively, with the two procedures. The spontaneous reporting rate was 322-fold lower than that identified through the follow-up study; when considered the severe cases, it was 37-fold lower. Under certain circumstances reporting might be performing better than usual due to strengthening of the surveillance system. Adverse events observed for the pandemic H1N1 vaccines lie within the expected safety profile for common events with influenza vaccines. An overall benefit-risk assessment of these vaccines should be done.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21112311

Dear all,

As a nominee for the 2014 Maddox Price and having been gracefully acknowledged, I was however not invited for the reception last night, the 27th October.

In my Maddox Price entry I expressed the concern that proper vaccine safety research is not done (whether vaccines might be tipping the balance from acute infectious diseases to an increased burden of disease due to NCDs and emerging infections) and illustrated the "courage in promoting science and evidence on a matter of public interest, despite facing difficulty and hostility in doing so" http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/john-maddox-prize.html

In 2012 Prof Peter Aaby called for research into adverse vaccine effects on general resistance  http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e3769?sso=

Does anybody have any thoughts or share my concerns with reference to this continued obfuscation to address and elaborate on Peter Aaby's suggestion about the safety of vaccine programs?

It would be helpful to me if people could give me their reasons to dissuade me or suggest proper ways forward to address the issue to initiate proper research into possible adverse effects of vaccines (morbidity and mortality due to NCD and emerging infections).

Best regards,

Wouter