Hello all

Of interest to researchers in S Wales …

James

____

Hello

We are getting in touch to warmly invite you to the inaugural meeting of the Linguistic Ethnography Discussion and Study Group (LEDS) at Cardiff University.

**This is really only likely to be of interest to people in or near Cardiff, Wales, so if that isn’t you, you probably don’t need to spend time reading on.**

The intention is that the group will provide an informal, constructive forum for discussion about a wide range of matters related to linguistic ethnography.  We hope that, as the group develops, members will be willing to engage in methodological and theoretical discussion about a wide range of topics.  Our intention is that the group should have an inclusive membership policy (all welcome!) and that those who attend should feel able to participate in a relaxed, exploratory and collegial academic environment.  Long-term, the group might facilitate future research collaborations but for now we hope that it will be a point of support and enjoyable sharing of ideas for anyone who is using, or considering using, ethnography, particularly with a linguistic focus or angle.  Sometimes, meetings will take the format of a reading group, sometimes a discussion of data provided by a member, sometimes talking through a particular sticky challenge or question that a member has identified and sometimes we will have a relatively open discussion and exploration, as at our first meeting.  We will be very pleased to entertain other ideas for any type of meeting format, or purpose, and intend this to be a learning opportunity for us all. Therefore we will encourage members to take the lead in sessions about their own ideas, concerns and interests.

We hope that you might consider joining us and ask that you circulate this invitation amongst your local networks (anyone you think might be interested in joining us, within or outside the academia).

Or first meeting will be on the theme “Why Linguistic Ethnography?”. It will take place in room 2.04 of the John Percival Building, Colum Drive, Cardiff University from 5 – 6pm on Wednesday 22nd October 2014.

You’re welcome to just come along but it would be helpful and interesting to us, if you have chance, if you let us know of your intention to do so.  Also, if you cannot make this first meeting, but would like to be kept informed of our future events, and the development of the group, please just drop us a line and we will add you to our mailing list.

We anticipate that this group will meet around once per month and attendance will, of course, be entirely optional.

All good wishes

Frances Rock and for Jaspal Singh

Centre for Language and Communication Research, ENCAP

Dr. Frances E. Rock, Senior Lecturer
Centre for Language and Communication Research, Cardiff University, ENCAP, John Percival Building, Colum Drive, Cardiff, CF10 3EU, Wales
Canolfan Ymchwil Iaith a Chyfathrebu, Prifysgol Caerdydd, Adeilad John Percival, Rhodfa Colum, Caerdydd, CF10 3EU, Cymru
Email:
[log in to unmask]   Telephone:  (+44) 02920 870277   Fax:  (+44) 02920 874242
Web page:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/encap/contactsandpeople/profiles/rock-frances.html

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]