On 10/1/14, 4:21 AM, Bosch, Thomas wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> there has been a lot of discussion of this topic on the W3C RDF Validation mailing list, with lot's of pros and cons using OWL and OWL 2 for RDF validation.
>
> I also see the need for such a requirement.
> This requirement is not in the requirements database so far.
>
> What would be an identifier of such a requirement?
> Let me try:
> Separate Contraint Semantics and Ontology Semantics

How about:

Separation of Constraints and Ontology Semantics

I think it will need a rather precise definition, and I'm happy to
contribute to that. I believe that the bottom line is that the
validation constraints must not alter the semantics of the underlying
ontology. It's a matter of thinking about both the closed world and the
open world at the same time. In fact, I would go so far as to say that
"meaning" is entirely the role of RDF/OWL, and that the application
profile exercises data creation and management constraints. The things
called "constraints" in OWL are actually axioms that permit one to infer
meaning from relationships between properties, but do not constrain, in
the data quality sense, at all. So it's constraints on the AP side, and
semantics on the RDF/OWL side.

kc

--
Karen Coyle