If anyone would like a headache, can I recommend trying to find a list of
the countries that have been approved by the EU for overseas transfers (or
is it just me?).

The ICO website says, in its seven-point process for deciding whether the
transfer is OK "Is the transfer to a country on the EU Commission's list of
countries or territories providing adequate protection for the rights and
freedoms of data subjects in connection with the processing of their
personal data?"  Note the absence of a hyperlink to the list.

So where is the 'list of countries'?  The EU data protection pages, after
going down a lot of blind alleys, seem to have the information at
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/document/international-transfers/adequacy/index_en.htm
However, some of the links are broken, some take you to the front page for
the class of document they refer to, which you then have to search in order
to locate the right document, and they are all written in different formats.
Because I obviously don't know as much as I thought I did about Data
Protection, I cannot understand the decisions I have been able to find.
Many of them appear to have caveats, but I don't know what the impact of
these is.  (E.g. the Canadian legislation only applies to commercial
information.  Is that commercial as opposed to government, or commercial as
opposed to not-for-profit?)

What I'm hoping is that someone who badly needed to know has already
produced a list showing the country, the decision, and any caveats.  Failing
that, an explanation of where I'm going wrong would be helpful.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul Ticher
0116 273 8191
www.paulticher.com
22 Stoughton Drive North, Leicester LE5 5UB

For continuous priority support on Data Protection, sign up to my support
service:
www.paulticher.com/data-protection-services