From: BioCentre Matt James [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 October 2014 10:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Don't miss out on this exciting event and book launch! 'The Proactionary Imperative' 31st October 2014

*** Apologies for any cross posting ***

Don't miss out on this exciting panel discussion and book launch on the future of humanity!

"THE PROACTIONARY IMPERATIVE"

We are delighted to invite you to this exciting discussion.

Friday 31st October, 5:30-8:00pm,
Wilkins Haldane Room, University College London

Following by a drinks reception

There will be opportunity to buy a copy of 'The Proactionary Imperative' at a 30% discount on the night.

How far should we go in transforming human nature? Could a society that is more open to taking risks, be one engenders a greater sense of diverse, equality and tolerance? To what extent will caution and action come to dominate the political landscape and create new political divisions?

These questions and others will help to shape this evening's debate, addressing some of the major themes presented in the NEW BOOK  "The Proactionary Imperative" by Steve Fuller and Veronika Lipinska.

Whereas precautionaries believe that we are on the brink on environmental catastrophe because we're too willing to take risks, proactionaries believe that humans stand apart from the rest of nature by our capacity for successful risk taking.

Drawing on perspectives from both theology and biology, and completing a trilogy of works exploring 'Humanity 2.0', Fuller and Lipinska ultimately endorse the proactionary position, which supports individuals taking risks – for example with new health treatments, as they try to expand their life chances. The book ends with a Manifesto that draws together the arguments to present a challenging vision for the future.

Join us for what promises to be a lively and thought provoking discussion on the future of humanity.

Panellists include:

[+] PROF STEVE FULLER, Auguste Comte Professor of Social Epistemology at the University of Warwick, UK.  Author of "Humanity 2.0: What It Means to Be Human Past, Present and Future" (2011) and "Preparing for Life in Humanity 2.0" (2012).  Fellow of BioCentre.

[+] PROF ANDY MIAH, Chair in Science Communication and Digital Media, in the School of Environment and Life Sciences, University of Salford.  Author of numerous articles and books including "The Medicalisation of Cyberspace" (2008) and "Genetically Modified Athletes" (2004).

[+] Dr. RENE VON SCHOMBERG,  Directorate General for Research, European Commission, academic writer on the social and ethical aspects of the EU's science and technology policies. He is editor/author of 13 books and numerous articles including "Towards Responsible Research and Innovation in the ICT and Security Technology Fields" (2011) and co-editor of "Implementing the Precautionary Principle: Perspectives and Prospects" (2006).

The event is free to attend but registration is required. Please click here to register: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-proactionary-imperative-tickets-13431200081

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html