Reminder!

Please spread widely and apologies for cross postings.

We are currently advertising two 2-year Postdoctoral Researchers and one 3-year Postdoctoral Stipendiary Research Fellow in Economic Geography. See job description and instructions for application below.

Best regards

Johan Jansson and Dominic Power

(Dept. of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala University, Sweden)

Two Postdoctoral Researchers

Uppsala universitet, Kulturgeografiska institutionen

Uppsala University is an international research university focused on the development of science and education. Our most important assets are all the individuals who with their curiosity and their dedication makes Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting work places. Uppsala University has 41.000 students, 6,500 employees and a turnover of SEK 5,900 million.

starting date in January 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter.

The employment period is two years.

Job description: As part of a new large Swedish Research Council framework project on ‘Culture, Creativity and the Economy’, the project team is looking to recruit 2 post-doctoral fellows/lecturers. The post holders will be expected to pursue their own research within the framework of the project and contribute to teaching at the department. The framework project involves a number of researchers a Uppsala University and deals with critically engaging with the conditions for creativity and development in cultural and creative industries: their geography, creativity, and journey to market. The program aims to support a group of researchers in the field of cultural economy in general and the geographic conditions for cultural industries in particular. The aim is to contribute to a better understanding of the conditions for the functioning, creativity and sustainability of the creative and cultural industries: interrelated and inter-dependent industries that have at their core the commercialization or marketization of culture, aesthetics and creativity. They are defined by the fact that they produce goods and services that are bought for reasons other than purely utilitarian ones, such as aesthetic, semiotic, sensory, or experiential. They are comprised of fields like art, music, computer games, film, fashion and advertising. While taking our point of departure in the creative and innovative performance of workers and firms, we will also pay critical attention to the role of individuals as well as the geographies, districts, milieus,

networks and virtual spaces where creative individuals and firms seem to thrive.

The Department of Social and Economic Geography (http://www.kultgeog.uu.se/) has a strong international reputation and our staff engage in a broad range of research. We seek outstanding colleagues to join our milieu.

Founded in 1477, Uppsala University (http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu) is the oldest university in the Scandinavia and one of the largest with more than 40,000 students and more than 2,000 graduate students. The University is one of the foremost research environments in Europe and has extensive library facilities and data resources that rank amongst the best in Europe. The University is located in the centre of lively and historic Uppsala, which is Sweden’s fourth biggest city and located 40 minutes north of the capital Stockholm and 20 minutes from Stockholm Arlanda International Airport.

Qualifications required: For these positions, we are looking for ambitious researchers with a PhD in human geography or a social science discipline such as sociology, business studies or anthropology, and ideally previous engagement with culture, creativity and economy issues. To be eligible for a position as a postdoctoral researcher the applicant’s Ph.D. degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the applicant date.

We are seeking exceptional researchers who can demonstrate a strong commitment to scholarly research and publishing as well as an ambition to be at the forefront of research. The post holders will be expected to engage actively in the framework project, our annual European Colloquium on Culture, Creativity and the Economy, research seminars and similar activities at the Department and CIND. The postdoctoral fellows/lecturers will be provided with their own office, computer, and research expenses and will have access to world-class research resources and libraries. The position involves the equivalent of 80 % of fulltime devoted to your own research and 20 % of fulltime devoted to teaching and lecturing duties at the Department of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala.

These are full time two-year posts to be based at Uppsala University. Salary will be negotiable with the Head of the Department. As a registered resident in Sweden the Fellow will be covered by the public health system. Candidates must possess a doctoral degree or have submitted their PhD thesis for examination by time of commencement. The posts commence January 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter.

Contact and Application procedure: Interested candidates should send an application including their Curriculum Vitae, a statement of research interests and how they could contribute to the project (maximum 3 pages), one digital copy of written work, and names of three referees willing to provide a reference on request. Short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview.

Dr Johan Jansson (mailto:[log in to unmask]) or Professor Dominic Power (mailto:[log in to unmask]) are available for informal enquiries about the positions and the project.

You are welcome to submit your application no later than the 31st of October 2014, please quote the reference number UFV-PA 2014/2770. Use the link below to access the application form.

http://www2.personalavd.uu.se/jobb/appform.php?lang=en&case=UFV-PA 2014/2770

We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help.

Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months

Working hours Full time

Number of positions 2

Working hours 100%

Reference UFV-PA 2014/2770

Published 2014-09-25

City Uppsala

Last application date 2014-10-25

County Uppsala län

Country Sweden

Union representative Carin Söderhäll, TCO/ST 018-471 1997

Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485

Stefan Djurström, Seko 018-471 3315

Link to ad http://uu.mynetworkglobal.com/what:job/jobID:43985/

1 Three-Year Postdoctoral Stipendiary Research Fellow in Economic Geography

The Position: The position is a fixed term three-year full-time stipendiary research fellowship and the holder will have complete academic freedom to engage in any type of economic geography research they wish to pursue. We are seeking an exceptional researcher who can demonstrate a strong commitment to scholarly research and publishing as well as an ambition to be at the forefront of research in economic geography.

The fellowship holder will be expected to engage actively in research seminars and similar activities at the Department and CIND. The fellowship holder will be provided with their own office, computer, and research expenses and will have access to world-class research resources and libraries. There are no teaching or administrative responsibilities included in the Fellowship, however we encourage the Fellow to combine their fellowship with a limited amount of paid undergraduate and graduate teaching and supervision.

The fellowship is in the form of a Browaldh stipend financed by Handelsbanken’s Research Foundation. The stipend consists of a fixed annual tax-free personal allowance of 340,000sek (approx. 47,000USD), 75,000sek towards pension and insurance per year, as well as 40,000sek per year in annual research expenses. As a registered resident in Sweden the Fellow will be covered by the public health system.

The Department of Social and Economic Geography and the Centre for research on Innovation and Industrial Dynamics (CIND) (http://www.kultgeog.uu.se/) has a strong international reputation and our staff engage in a broad range of research. We seek outstanding postdoctoral researchers to join our milieu.

Founded in 1477, Uppsala University (http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu) is the oldest university in the Scandinavia and one of the largest with more than 40,000 students and more than 2,000 graduate students. The University is one of the foremost research environments in Europe and has extensive library facilities and data resources that rank amongst the best in Europe. The University is located in the centre of lively and historic Uppsala, which is Sweden’s fourth biggest city and located 40 minutes north of the capital Stockholm and 20 minutes from Stockholm Arlanda International Airport.

Qualifications required: Candidates must possess a doctoral degree in economic geography or closely related field received after January 1 2009 or have submitted their PhD thesis for examination by time of commencement. The three-year position can be started January 1st 2015 or soon afterwards.

Contact and Application procedure: Interested candidates should send an E-mail including their Curriculum Vitae, a statement of research interests (maximum 3 pages), one digital copy of written work, and names of three referees willing to provide a reference on request. Dr Johan Jansson ([log in to unmask]) or Prof Dominic Power ([log in to unmask]) are available for informal contact about the position and related issues. Applications should be sent by email to either Johan Jansson ([log in to unmask]) or Dominic Power ([log in to unmask]). Deadline for applications is 31st of October 2014.  Short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview.

Johan Jansson (PhD)

Associate professor

Department of Social and Economic Geography

CIND – Centre for research on innovation and industrial dynamics

Uppsala University

Box 513

751 20 Uppsala

Kyrkogårdsgatan 10, Ekonomikum

Tel: +46 (0)18 471 2542 Mob: +46 (0)733 34 48 32

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://katalog.uu.se/empInfo?id=N0-540