Hello All,
What I want to add to this discussion is a very pertinent point. As an RMT union member and subsequently one of those under the umbrella of the TUC I have to add that it is not just about jobs. The agenda of the corporations is to reduce workforce numbers to maximise profits and minimise conflict and overheads. Unfortunately this is the wrong path to be treading. When I consider that my own employers are hell bent on trashing workforce numbers to save a pittance whilst ensnaring the public into funding their little kingdom building exercise I become seriously disillusioned with any talk of a renaissance of traditional working class values and conditions.
Besides climate change is totally changing the environment from barely sustainable to totally destroyed all down to the corporations greedy tactics.
If we want to really stop climate change there is only one thing we really should be doing. We should abandon entirely this totally stupid con trick called 'Economic Growth'. It cannot work on a planet of finite resources. It is the main driver for climate change through resources extraction without any kind of control over the way in which the environment is treated before, during and after the extraction has been completed. Then we have the next stage of resource processing to consider. Every step of the way contributes to the climate changing process. We have the profitability of such things as oil, gas (Fracked variety) coal (mountain top removal being one of them) and of course the most stupid of all Nuclear to contend with but the profitability is government subsidised especially with tax breaks and sweeteners 'to encourage the right sort of investor you understand.......'
There is one thing that really is being missed by the governments, scientists and the corporations. When there is nothing left to extract then you have nothing left at all. No land worth planting, no ecosystems to sustain anything and no climate to protect it all. You have a planet fast forwarding to a Mars like condition. Unless we go nuclear of course then its Venus.

So by replacing the economic growth pyramid scheme with a steady state economic policy you immediately stop this mad dash for every last scrap of resource from all those 'unconventional sources' simply on the basis of profitability.
I read earlier that if we reduced the carbon burden on the climate we would save so much money it could be reinvested into a green, clean sustainable 'low carbon' future. I hate the word 'sustainable' to be honest because it is so misused by the corporations and in turn by governments touting for them. But the article uses it to describe its vision so that is that.
http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/312-16/26336-reducing-carbon-emissions-would-fuel-global-economy

But what we should not be doing is geoengineering. Yes I am a Luddite and a naysayer and a techno-phobe and any other insulting name you can think to call me to deride and degrade my views as worthless. But I am still making that statement because it is a fact. Geoengineering is not the solution. It is merely another of these wacky ideas to generate another 'nice little earner' whilst the planet goes screw ball in any climatic direction but the right one. We don't even understand the mechanisms of climate change so making bold claims about spraying stuff into the atmosphere to cool it off is cloud cuckoo land. Same goes for all those carbon capture mechanisms. Only get off the ground with a big fat subsidy. Oh and a nice little tax break for the investors. More of the same economic growth claptrap.

Bio-char is a too little, too late technology. We should have been doing this sort of thing by farming with natural ecosystems in mind. With resource balancing in mind. Not by reducing the natural resources such as the organic matter (carbon) in the soil until all that is left is rock dust and the only way plants grow is due to the chemical crap and the artificial fertilisers we put onto the degraded land. Ever wonder why we get so many flood events? Apart from the fact we have taken away far too many trees and hedgerows? Take a look at organic soil. It drains steadily and freely and remains moist for plants. Not so the degraded sludge masquerading as soil. It goes sticky and forms a layer impervious to water flowing through it. There is no way water can penetrate the sludge at the same rate it would if it were organic and balanced soil. When we get a dry spell it bakes hard and forms an impervious crust so that when we do get a downpour we get flash
 flooding. Not big nor clever.

Importing our goods and services from overseas is substituting for carbon capture in the soil at home to make it more fertile. We instead steal the resources from the land overseas and then dump it down the toilet. So we have not one but several nations with depleted or steadily being depleted soils. When its gone its gone for ever. Phosphorus anyone? WOn't bore you with the details other than to say if climate change doesn't hit before 2030-50 then starvation will. That's when we run out of mineral phosphate to make our artificial fertilisers.

So to finalise we need to stop scrabbling around for costly and untried solutions and take a big step back to more traditional methods of living. Farming is the base point. Replanting habitats is a huge part of it. Permaculture could be a good solution if enough people got off their backsides to do it. Agroecology is the most talked about in recent years and seriously a possibility. Either way trying to invent ourselves out of a crisis is simply going to add more fuel to the crisis we are in and we haven't time to play 'Mad Scientists' any more.

Go to the conference by all means but don't expect to solve the problems overnight. Unions are strangled these days by government anti-union legislation. Pretty obvious really that the governments agenda is in the other direction especially when you consider their support for the TTIP/CETA deal being done entirely behind closed doors. This by the way is an even bigger threat to getting anything done to reverse climate change. Unless its profitable of course.

Best wishes
Kev