From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jackson, David
Sent: 01 October 2014 09:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Alternative ground gas monitoring techniques

Hi Owen,

I agree with John – first step should be a desk based review of the sites and this should guide the requirement for further monitoring or not. I did this at Wakefield 7 years ago and for about 130 of the 150 former landfills a decision was made for no further monitoring. This was mainly due to the fact that there were no buildings anywhere near them [they had been spiking these landfills on site for 10 years before I came!].

For sites where you do have off site boreholes [and hopefully knowledge of their construction] you could monitor these to inform a detailed risk assessment. As the majority of sites don’t have these [they are either on site or lost] I bought a high sensitivity gas clam to put into buildings [preferably in the sub floor void if they have one] to inform the risk assessment. Boreholes are just too expensive in my view for the majority of sites although for known gassing landfills adjacent to housing I have had these installed and monitored.

Hope this helps

Dave

David Jackson

Land Quality Officer

Wakefield Council

Regeneration & Economic Growth  |  Environmental Health

Wakefield One  |  P.O.Box. 700  |  Burton Street  |  Wakefield  |  WF1 2EB

t   0345 8506506

m   07810 152565

  www.wakefield.gov.uk/landquality