From: JIMMY CUMMINS
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 2:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: another list trouble

Dear Tim,
like I said this kind of casual sexist remark is the thin edge of a very damaging and alienating wedge. as Rachel as pointed out to call an argument handbags is to imply that the argument it is somehow silly or weak. not like a real 'man' fight. to fall back on oh i was only saying it as a joke is a tried/tired and tested response from people who use this form of misogynistic language implying that those who take offence ie. women don't have a sense of humor. the rules are pretty simple using phrases particular insults that refer to something or someone as a women ie. implying some form of weakness is sexist. 'a girl's blouse', 'kick/catch/throw like a girl' etc etc. but you know this already you are not stupid, you just don't want to have to think about what or how you talk to others. if you did you wouldn't, as richard pointed out, defend it by saying "I've seen too many examples of someone being pounced on for simply saying something while being a man - any objectivity being chucked out the window. But I suppose I shouldn't say that either" you are trying to equate sexism and the silencing of women with some nondescript time when a man was not allowed say anything he wanted (which  is normally something sexist).
when we know that the two are not historically equal. your apologies seem meaningless because they are all followed by excuses and further denials.

i am glad you are deciding to leave because you are right a reasonable discuss is not available here and it has nothing to do with those of us who have found your defense and use of sexist language intolerable. there is no anger here and certainly none spilling over from another list it is just a bunch of people bored with having to deal with this kind of outdated and offensive behavior. we have seen the same things in the past with people using racist language and claiming they didn't see how it was offensive because 'they are dark, so why can't i call them darkies' ... or using phrases like 'the blacks' or 'pakies' and then complaining that the world is gone PC mad.

but Tim no-one should have to explain common politeness to you, if you want to actual understand how to navigate these topics go away and do some reading or better yet just actually listen. but i suspect you don't or you would have actually listened before. instead you have sulked away feeling hard done by.

http://runamokpress.blogspot.com/