Thanks, Jamie, for your considered thoughts. Any chance you can post the entire translation of Vanishing Point (hoping of course it's not 20 pages long!) along with the italian? I'm attaching Uccello's Hunt by Night below. I'd be interested in the poem, and I think others would be as well, for its philosophical questioning if nothing else.

My guess is that Magrelli and Drucker came to the same questioning through different paths. He through contemplating a painting; she through her familiarity with the medium of lead type, which has been a primary aspect of her art work, though she has said that Stochastic Poems would be her last letterpress book.

When you talk about the conflict between visual and verbal art it reminds me of G E Lessing's "Laocoon: An Essay Upon the Limits of Painting and Poetry", the influential 19th-century book on aesthetics. Lessing found the two arts connected to different aspects of reality: poetry to time and painting to space. He also set the one above the other, making painting and the plastic arts in general an inferior form of art. Both points, I think, are entirely fanciful.

I had forgotten about this pivotal essay, so many thanks for reminding me.

My personal experience is that the visual and the verbal play two different roles in the mind, serving two different functions in relationship to the perceiver. But I've never been able to sort out what the different functions are, only that there is a different kind of engagement and a different kind of satisfaction in the process. That may be an entirely personal experience, and perhaps oddly I've never asked before how visual poets experience their process. After a very interesting weekend at a conference called "The Neuroscience of Aesthetics" I'm beginning to doubt my experience of the verbal and the visual.

It sounds like the difference in quality of the Blake work might be topic rather than mode of expression.

Cheers,

Jaime Robles

The Hunt in the Forest, or The Hunt by Night
Paolo Uccello
c.1470
Tmepera and oil with traces of gold on panel
73.3 x 177 cm