Hi Rachel, - First if anyone is casually looking at this thread please note that it wasn't me who said that bad phrase, the use of the pronoun below could be misread.

OK - you never answered my question about what other examples of misogynous language there have been here over the past few weeks since the list came alive again. I'd venture to say the reason is because there have not been any. If I'm wrong, please point out the examples.

The only exchange that could be called aggressive here recently has been the one between John and Sean and that was a genuine disagreement about something they were involved in and in the exchange they managed to mainly resolve it. What is wrong with that? Your ironic comment about it seeming "just the kind of place to strike up a conversation with strangers" is perplexing because this is a list for the discussion of poetry and poetry related issues, particularly about non-mainstream poetry - I don't see why anyone who wishes to be on the list should consider themselves a 'stranger', unless they are not interested in modern poetry. Yes, there are people on the list who do get into arguments about poetry, of course there are - poetry is an art-form that is riven with differences and problems. On the whole we try to be civil. When the list was in its full flow some years back it did often get quite aggressive, as did the other lists at the time, but since then people have learned how to use it better. Of course the list has gone through a number of lengthening dormant periods as the internet has changed - I for one thought it was pretty much finished until the recent flurry.

Cheers

Tim A.